Have you ever looked at someone and thought, “She is so happy all the time! I bet her life is perfect!” I know that I have. If you could peek into their real lives, though, you would probably find that they struggle with similar issues that you do. However, the way they approach life is different. You’d find that they are not happy because they are given all the right cards, they are happy because they make themselves happy. They maintain a positive outlook on life and remain at peace with themselves. It’s one thing to talk about it and another to actually get in the habit of it.
3 Habits of Highly Happy People:
- Forgive. Happy people understand that holding grudges within their hearts actually causes dissatisfaction in life. Why would you want to let someone who wronged you make your life miserable? Forgive them and don’t let your negative feelings toward them crowd out your positive feelings. If you get rid of all that junk in your heart that’s full of grudgery and anger, imagine how much more space you'd have to be filled with happiness. Let it out. Forgive, Forget, and let the sunshine in!
- To-Do Today: Think of someone you haven’t been able to forgive and write them a letter apologizing (yes, you apologizing to them), and release your feelings of resentment and bitterness. Now take a deep breath and breathe in something positive!
- Dream. Don’t just dream, dream big! Why is it important to dream big? Big Dreams Come True! Big things can happen to you if you can just find the courage to pursue them. You don’t know until you ask. Sometimes you need to ask big in order to really get something accomplished. It may be a risk, but it is worth the chance! The best part about dreaming big is that it’s a win, win. Even if you fall short, you will still gain a lot from trying.
- To-Do Today: Write down your biggest dream. Don’t be ashamed. Write it nice and big and just sit there imagining yourself in that dream. What does it feel like? Hold onto that feeling whenever you are feeling down and remind yourself of that dream daily.
- Absorb the Present. Happy people do not dwell on the past or worry about the future, they savor the present. Get immersed in what you are doing when you are doing it. Tomorrow will worry about itself, so you don’t need to. Take notice of the world. Think of your 5 senses and focus on them. Find ways to make other people smile in the moment. Be sensitive to the positive impact you can make in your day to day life. Minimize activities that dull your awareness of the moment.
- To-Do Today: Choose at least one day a week to turn off your cell phone, computer, radio in your car, TV, etc… Spend that day riding your bike to a café, having a friend over for tea, drawing something you see out the window, cooking yourself something to eat and savoring every bite, or exploring a new area of your town or city.
Be thankful for what is. Whenever you find yourself wishing for someone else’s life or for something you don’t have, remember the potential that is in your own life. Write a list of what you are thankful for right now. Don’t miss the beauty and gifts right in front of you. Change your What IFs into What IS. If you are thankful for what is, you’ll be happy in the moment instead of wishing your life away.